- Make sure you have smoke alarms properly installed on every level. Better, purchase combination smoke-carbon monoxide detectors. Test monthly. Replace batteries annually.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture, walls, or other flamable materials .
- Have you heating system inspected and serivced annually. Inspection should always include a heat-exchanger examination and a carbon monoxide test of your gas or oil furnace.
- Make sure your kitchen and bathroom electrical outlets are procted by ground-fault circuit-interruptors (GFCI).
- Make sure your bedroosm outlets are protected by arc-fault circuit-interruptors (AFCI).
- Keep dryer vents cleaned out. Don’t leave home with the dryer still running.
- Have you chimeny inspected and cleaned annually if you burn wood.
- Lastly, be careful with candles! Don’t allow children to burn candles without supervision. Candles cause far more fires than people realize!