Fire Prevention Tips
- Make sure you have smoke alarms properly installed on every level. Better, purchase combination smoke-carbon monoxide detectors. Test monthly. Replace batteries annually.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture, walls, or other flammable materials.
- Has your heating system inspected and serviced annually? Inspection should always include a heat-exchanger examination and a carbon monoxide test of your gas or oil furnace.
- Make sure your kitchen and bathroom electrical outlets are protected by ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI).
- Make sure your bedroom outlets are protected by arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI).
- Keep dryer vents cleaned out. Don’t leave home with the dryer still running.
- Has your chimney been inspected and cleaned annually if you burn wood?
- Lastly, be careful with candles! Don’t allow children to burn candles without supervision. Candles cause far more fires than people realize!